Anti-Inflammatory Green Smoothie
This recipe was inspired by the green smoothie I had at Resonance Cafe (an all vegan restaurant) in Montreal, Canada. It was a very delicious and satisfying smoothie. Honestly, I never really got onto the whole green smoothie bandwagon… until now. I still prefer my ginormous veggie bowls and salads, but sometimes it’s just refreshing to sip on a tasty little drink of goodness! I don’t foresee myself ever getting into juicing since beneficial fiber—which is important for good gut bacteria— as well as some disease fighting phytonutrients are stripped away from the fruit/ vegetables when juicing.
Why is this an anti-inflammatory smoothie!? Well, adding herbs — like mint– add boat-loads of antioxidants in just a pinch! Ginger is one of the top anti-inflammatory spices. Adding these dynamic duos together with greens— like kale and spinach— is a great way to get in lots of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that your body needs to fight of diseases and repair tissues and cells.
- 1 banana
- 1-2 inch slice of fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 2 cups power greens (kale, spinach)
- 1-2 cups unsweetened plant-based milk (e.g. almond, soy, coconut)
- ice (optional)
- 1. Wash the greens, mint leaves, and ginger. Peel the skin off the outside of the ginger.
- 2. Add the ingredients to the smoothie. Start with less milk and add more as desired.
- 3. Blend until smooth and pour into cups. Enjoy!