Creamy Chickpea Salad Sandwich
In a pinch and need a quick meal, no worries— I have got you covered with this Creamy Chickpea Salad! This takes me about 10 minutes– or less! For a quick version use already cooked chickpeas or a can of chickpeas. Slower method will involve cooking the chickpeas.
Swap out the chicken for some chickpeas in your recipes to cut down on food prep time, save some money, and add a nutritional punch to your meal! Chickpeas are an excellent source of a number of nutrients— including protein (15 grams per cup), fiber (12 grams per cup), iron (28% DV per cup), folate (71% DV per cup), and potassium (14% DV per cup); whereas, chicken lacks the fiber, is lower in a number of nutrients including folate, iron, and potassium. Pair the chickpea salad with a vitamin C rich source of food– like kale, peppers, and strawberries– to help absorb the non-heme, plant source of iron.
- 3.5 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 cans of chickpeas- drain and rinse)
- 1/2 cup cashews*
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 celery sticks (chopped) [about 1 cup]
- 1 cup of grapes (cut in half)
- 1 small/ medium onion (diced) [optional]
- Tarragon – to taste (I use about 1/4 cup)
- In a strong blender, mix water and cashews until smooth. Set aside.
- Pour chickpeas into a bowl. Using a fork, mush the chickpeas to a desired texture. Add chopped celery, grapes, and onions.
- Pour cashew cream over the chickpea salad. You may not need all the mayo– so use your eye. Add tarragon to the mayo until desirable taste. *Usually tastes best the second day since the tarragon sits a bit. Add a dash of pepper, if desired.
- Serve on a bed of spinach or put on whole grain bread and serve with a side of veggies.
- *Note: If you have a nut allergy, swap in 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds.