Fully-Loaded Mexican Sweet Potatoes
Take spin on your classic burrito by loading up a sweet potato! Sweet potatoes are an excellent carbohydrate choice since 1 medium sweet potato provides 4 grams of fiber, and is a good source of Vitamin A (beta Carotene), Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Potassium, Copper, and Manganese. Beyond just the awesome nutritional profile of sweet potatoes— they taste great too!
Load these babies with Mexican-style veggies, black beans, salsa, and avocado. The perfect combo for a fiesta in your mouth!
- 6 sweet potatoes
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 large onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 tomato
- 2 avocados (or guacamole)
- 1- 15 oz can black beans (or 1.75 cups cooked black beans)
- 8 oz Meatless Chorizo or meatless meat crumbles (optional) *
- 1-2 cloves garlic (or use 1-2 tbsp minced garlic)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cayenne
- Black pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 F. While the oven is warming up, scrub the sweet potatoes well with water until clean. (I like to use a veggie brush and a little vinegar).
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and put them in the oven. Allow them to bake for about 40 minutes, or until soft.
- While the potatoes are roasting, wash the veggies. Dice the onions, peppers, tomatoes, and zucchini.
- First sauté the garlic and onions until the onions are translucent. Then add the peppers and zucchini. Continue to sauté until the veggies are cooked to desired texture.
- Add in the spices and mix until veggies are coated.
- If using canned beans, strain off the liquid and rinse. Then add the beans to the skillet.
- If using the meatless chorizo, add this into the skillet too. If it’s not already crumbled, crumble it with your spatula while it is cooking. (I do this by slicing it with the spatula until it’s the size that I want).
- Once the veggie mix and the sweet potatoes are finished. Slice the potatoes open with a knife. Mash the inside of the potato to make sure it is cooked thoroughly. Then load the potatoes with the veggie mix. Top with diced tomatoes, fresh cilantro, avocado/ guacamole, and salsa.
- *I used the Herbivorous Butcher’s. Other brands you could try: Beyond Meat or Upton’s. If not using the meatless meat, add an extra can of black beans and/ or add a layer of refried beans to the sweet potatoes.