Cinnamon Apple Walnut Bread
Fall is here and this Cinnamon Apple Walnut Bread is a the perfect fall treat! Combining cinnamon and apples for a delicious, seasonal comfort food. You can enjoy this recipe year round of course, but with apple season underway it’s a great way to make use of all those delicious apples!
This Cinnamon Apple Walnut Bread is packed with flavor and texture. Just enough sweetness to satisfy your sweet tooth— yet refined sugar free and made with just fruit for the sweetener. That’s my kind of treat! Most quick breads are loaded with added sugar, refined flour, and oil. This apple walnut bread is unique as it’s made without oil, sweetened with just fruit (thanks to those dates, bananas, and apples!), and made with oat flour (a whole grain). My family love this bread and I hope you do too!
This is a recipe I originally developed for Blue Cure, but recently have been adapting it and making it even better! Blue Cure is a non-profit whose mission is to educate men about lifestyle interventions for the prevention of and improve outcomes for prostate cancer.
The topping for this bread is a Vanilla Cashew Date Icing from my blog. It’s lightly sweet and flavorful addition to this bread, highly recommend it! You will likely need only about 1/4- 1/2 of the recipe, but I find that it’s much easier to blend the cashews and dates when there is more in the blender. You can totally try to do a 1/2 batch recipe. If you decide to make the full batch and have leftovers- see my notes about other ways to use the cashew date icing or freeze it until the next time.
- 2½ cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 medium/ large ripe bananas
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pitted dates (about 3-4 medjoohl)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cup apples, chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Vanilla Cashew Date Icing
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Place the oats in a blender and blend until the oats are fine like flour.
- Pour the flour into a bowl. Add the baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir well and then set aside.
- In a blender, combine the unsweetened applesauce, ripe bananas, vanilla extract, pitted dates, and apple cider vinegar. Blend until smooth.
- Wash the apples and chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- Pour the walnuts onto a plate. Crush the walnuts with the back of a fork or a knife. Optional to reserve a small portion of the walnuts for the topping.
- Pour the applesauce and banana mixture into the oat flour bowl. Fold until the flour and the liquid are combined. Add the apples and walnuts and continue to fold until evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour the apple walnut bread batter into the loaf pan. Bake for ~40-50 minutes or until complete (use a tooth pick to check the bread at about 40 minutes, if it comes clean remove the bread from the oven).
- Allow the pan to cool for several minutes and then remove the loaf from the pan and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Top the bread with Vanilla Cashew Date Icing and then if you desire, dust the top of the bread with more cinnamon or the remaining crushed walnuts. Store the bread in an airtight container in the fridge.