Quinoa Sweet Potato Burgers
My mom made these burgers several years ago, and we recently pulled the recipe out again. Wow, they sure did taste good, especially on a whole grain bun, smothered in avocado, and topped with veggies. Make a batch of these and eat them throughout the week— or freeze some for quick grab-n-go meals to enjoy on busy nights.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (2.5 cups cooked)
- 1.75 cup cooked chickpeas (1- 15oz can)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 3 tbsp ground flax
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- black pepper
- Combine 1 cup uncooked quinoa with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil in a sauce pan, then reduce to medium heat and cover. Allow the quinoa to simmer (~15 minutes).
- If the chickpeas are not already cooked, combine 3/4 cup chickpeas and cover with water in a pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and simmer for ~1.5 hours.
- Wash and chop the sweet potatoes and onions. Either preheat oven to 350F and roast the veggie or sauté them on medium-high heat. Cook until onions are translucent and the potatoes are soft.
- In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, sweet potatoes, onions, flax, cilantro, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and pepper. Pulse the ingredients together. Avoid overly pureeing.
- In a bowl, mix the quinoa and sweet potato mix with a spoon until well combined.
- Pat the quinoa- sweet potato mixture into 10- 12 patties. Cook the burgers on medium-high heat on a skillet or preheat the oven at 350F and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes. *
- Enjoy the burgers on a whole grain bun or on a bed of greens. Top with avocado, tomatoes, and caramelized onions.
- You might find it to work well to cook the patties on a skillet first and then pop them into the oven for 15-20 minutes to crisp them-up a bit.