Tempeh and Pinto Bean Tacos
Tacos and taco salads can be a quick, go-to meal in your routine. Plus, there are so many fun variations you can do of tacos —it keeps meals more interesting, if you ask me! We’ve been getting creative with taco night and serving all the taco fixings in roasted spaghetti squash, delicata squash, roasted sweet potatoes, and collard wraps.
Tacos are a meal that can be easily made plant-based. If you are new to the plant-based lifestyle, get ready for tacos and taco salads galore! No need for ground beef and chicken when you can swap in healthy plant-based protein options like beans, tempeh, or tofu. For a meaty texture and taste, sauté up some mushrooms and toss them in your dish!
- 1 (8 oz) package tempeh
- 1 (15 oz) can of pinto beans
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1-2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon white miso
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 small chili pepper, minced
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 2 avocados
- splash of lemon or lime juice
- cabbage, chopped
- corn tortillas
- Sauté the tempeh in about 2 tablespoons of water, continuing to add more water as needed to keep it from sticking. Using a cooking utensil, chop the tempeh into small, bite sizes pieces.
- Drain and rinse the pinto beans. Add the beans to the pan with the tempeh.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and white miso paste. Add about 1 tablespoon of water. Mix until the miso paste is incorporated. Add the spices to the pan with the beans and tempeh. Continue to sauté for a few minutes, then set aside the tempeh and beans.
- Wash and chop the veggies. Sauté the onions with 1-2 tablespoons of water. Toss in the bell peppers, chili peppers, tomatoes, and kale. Continue to sauté, adding more water as needed to keep the veggies from sticking. Cook the veggies until they reach desired texture. Either combine the veggies with the tempeh and bean dish or leave it separate.
- Slice open the avocados and remove the pits. Add the avocados to a bowl with a splash of lemon or lime juice (about 1 tablespoon or to taste). Mash the avocado well, until it reaches desired texture.
- Chop cabbage, cilantro, and any other desired veggies. Warm the corn tortillas. Fill the tortillas up with the tempeh and veggies. Top with avocado and enjoy!
- Feel free to serve this on a big bowl of greens, a roasted sweet potato, squash, or collard greens. Toss in some salsa, if you desire.