Avocado Toast with Tofu Scramble
Are you in a need of an easy-peazy, quick and healthy breakfast, lunch, or dinner idea? Avocado toast with either a tofu scramble or mashed chickpeas is so simple—- and incredibly tasty! Add a side of fresh/frozen fruit or some fresh veggies (e.g. side salad, carrots, cucumbers…). A simple and balanced meal that includes some healthy carbs (assuming you use whole grain bread), protein (from the chickpeas or tofu), healthy fat (from the avocado), and the fruits/ veggies. Also, adding some seasonings like turmeric to the tofu/chickpeas will take the antioxidant level of the meal to a whole new level— meaning a bigger nutritional bang with each bite.
- ● 1 14-16 oz package of firm or extra firm organic tofu
- ● 1 cup of diced onions
- ● 3-4 cups of chopped spinach (or other green leafy veggie like kale)
- ● 1 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- ● 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- ● 1 teaspoon of granulated garlic (or sub in fresh, minced garlic)
- ● 1/4 teaspoon of salt (optional)
- ● 1 teaspoon parsley (if you have moringa powder, I am sure you could add a pinch here too)
- ● pepper (to taste)
- ● red pepper flakes (optional)
- ● 1 avocado
- ● 3-6 slices of whole grain bread
- Open the package of tofu and drain of any excess water. Lay a towel on a hard kitchen surface (e.g. cutting board, counter, or table). Place the tofu in the middle of the towel and cover the tofu completely with the towel. Using your hands (or maybe even a book you don’t mind getting wet) press down on the tofu to squeeze-out the excess water. The tofu may start to crumble and break, but that is okay. Set the tofu aside.
- In a pan, sauté the onions until they start to become somewhat translucent. (Note: I sauté just using a tiny bit of water to keep it from sticking, some people use oil).
- Once the onions start to soften, add the tofu to the pan and continue to sauté on medium heat. Using a spatula, chop the tofu into small pieces— think scramble egg size. Allow the tofu to lightly brown and continue to turn it with your spatula.
- Mix together the spices in a small bowl. Once the tofu has started to cook and lightly browned, add the spices in and continue to stir so that it evenly mixes.
- Finally, add in the chopped greens. Continue to cook until desired texture. Turn down the heat to avoid burning your tofu and the spices.
- Toast the bread, then spread avocado onto the toast. Layer the tofu scramble on top and add a pinch of crushed red pepper or more pepper. You may even consider layer with some salsa, mustard, tomatoes, and/or more greens.