Blueberry Ginger Smoothie
I love ginger– and I love blueberries, so I decided to blend them together. Ginger– and spices in general–are underused in the American diet, but have so many powerful components. Just a pinch of these spices to your meal and you can boost anti-oxidant levels of your meal through the roof.
Anyway, I made this smoothie when I was exploring other ways to use fresh ginger root when I was experiencing some painful menstrual cramps. I can handle straight-up ginger water, but I know a lot of people in my life who you not even give it a chance. So I decided to play around in the kitchen– and created this smoothie.
- 1 cup blueberries (frozen works well)
- 1 ripe banana (frozen works well)
- 1-2 cups greens (e.g. kale, spinach, my friends in Haiti-- use moringa!)
- 1 Tbsp ground flax
- 1-2 inch slice of fresh ginger
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup nuts or seeds of choice or 2 Tablespoons nut/ seed butter.
- ice (optional)
- Coconut flakes (optional)
- Wash the ginger, greens, and fruit. Using a knife, peel of the skin on the ginger.
- Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Top with coconut flakes, blueberries, and fennel seeds.
- For more of a black licorice taste, add 1-2 tsp of fennel seeds! Trust me, it's good. You could also add in a pitted date if you need to sweeten the smoothie a bit more.