Peaches ’n Cream Oatmeal
As the August mornings start to chill down, this peaches ‘n cream oatmeal is a nice, comforting breakfast that combines summer flavors with the sweet, cinnamon flavors that remind me of fall. It’s also very filling! The whole grain oats, peaches, and healthy fats (from the cashews) will leave you satisfied for hours. Oatmeal is a good source of fiber, which less than 3% of Americans are getting enough of. Fiber, found in whole, plant-based foods, can help to keep things regular (avoiding constipation) and can also help reduce risk for a number of health conditions such as, heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and even helping with weight loss.
Quite honestly, I am not a huge fan of the furry peach skin– so it’s usually not a fruit I will grab for. However, I love their sweet, juicy flesh! I have found that cooking the peaches makes the skin more tolerable to me and I can still enjoy fresh peaches.
- 1 cup dry oats
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 ripe peaches
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-2 pitted dates (optional)
- Bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to medium heat and then add in oats, vanilla, cinnamon. Stir the oatmeal occasionally and allow the oats to cook.
- Wash and dice the peaches, then add them in with the pot with the oatmeal. Allow them to cook.
- Add the cashews and water in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Once the water has boiled off on the oatmeal, dish the oatmeal into 2 bowls. Pour the cashew cream over the top. Enjoy!
- If you are using the dates, either blend them with the cashews or chop really small and add to the oatmeal in the first step. The dates will help sweeten the oatmeal naturally.